Monday, August 10, 2009

Rain, rain ....

Tuesday, July 21st

Obviously the bus survived the night of rain, and the next morning we got a yummy bus breakfast with an alfajor! A great last breakfast too. When we pulled into the BA station, it was still raining. We walked quickly to the subte station, and I got inside without getting to soaked. In my room, I noticed I didn’t have a mattress on my bed. Odd.

Turns out one of Lulu’s friends had stayed over, but it was actually good because I got stuff done instead of sleeping. I showered, made some coffee, cleaned my room, dropped off laundry, and got my stuff together for Quilmes. Maria Laura gave me a slice of pizza for lunch, which was nice. I left for Quilmes, and it was raining, but I didn’t think I would spend that much time outside. The subte was no problem.

The train was SOAKING. The rain seeped through the windows, and water sloshed along the floor. When the train would stop, the water would run forward like a wave. I kept a brave face, thinking that it was all part of the experience and at least I understand what it’s like. A kind lady informed me when I needed to exit.

I was staying positive until I had to walk 8 blocks in the rain. I showed up looking like a wet dog. I excused myself, went to the bathroom, and fixed myself up. I had a fun class with Pablo, Jorge, and Eduardo about emotions and sports. I feel weird giving them my opinion about things because I’m really young in comparison to them. They had a meeting, so class barely lasted an hour. I’m getting spoiled by this not having to stay the whole time business.

I just read Agatha Christie, who I love, on the train ride back. At home I made a coffee and read some more. I then took the subte to Julian’s office, got a little turned around and went one block in the wrong direction. It was dark, rainy and cold, but the hotdog man on the corner told me which way to go.

We had a good lesson talking about Argentina. Absolutely love it because I learn when I’m talking to these people. In the south, as I learned this weekend, the only thing that works is sheep farming. Along the mountain range in the south, they also grow berries. Around the Mendoza area you have the wineries. In the North, there used to be a rainforest, but they chopped it down about 10 years ago and now alternate growing soybeans and corn (U.S. ethanol effects in Argentina) Around the Buenos Aires province (larger than the city), you have all of the cattle, etc. The city of BA is the central hub for all of the business in BA. A few years ago, they tried to move the government down around near where Puerto Madryn is, but the effort failed. They felt that the government is too compromised in Buenos Aires with all the businesses. I also learned that BA does not, at least not yet, import oil. They have some reserves off the coast and in Patagonia. Also, there’s an ice wall that bursts every four years in south Patagonia. It’s an awesome sight to see, but lately it has been unpredictable, which Julian attributed to global warming.

Anyways, the hour and a half passed by really quickly. I learned a lot, oh, as well as got a “fatherly” reminder to be careful when I go out, and a tip on how I can sneak into an Argentine wedding! Yeaya! Also, I asked Julian where I might buy a mate cup in town. He said that natives just buy them off the streets, but then he actually gave me one! It has the insignia from his first company, which is just so cool! He didn’t have a straw though, so I’ll have to get one, but still, I now have a mate cup with a cool story!

He gave me a ride home in his car, which was really nice. When I got into the house, I just missed getting to share some meat with the family and brother. However, the locro-soup-esque stuff I ate was really good. Her brother was over making mousse for some people he works for, and man it looked good! As I ate, I raced Lu to see who could finish the quickest. It made me miss my siblings, although she plays fairer then they do! I was tired after that, and I crashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment