Monday, August 10, 2009

Final Quilmes...

Friday, August 7th

Friday morning just consisted of meandering around the apartment. I had thought about trying to find a pair of boots, but it was cold outside so that idea quickly faltered. The beautiful eclipse of weather that was Wednesday was no more.

I did go out to make my copies for class, and I noted that my photocopy store had purchased a new desk! When I complimented the guy on it, he opened up and started asking me questions. I was glad because I’ve come to this place like 10 times. I got my copies, which I paid for with my 10 pesos from last night, and then I used the leftover funds to purchase a coke in the kiosk near my house. The best part about doing that is that they give you a straw as well, and when you drink through the straw it makes the coke really fizzy. So much fun.

I ate my customary lunch at home, and then headed to Quilmes. I was running a few minutes late, and I was worried about not making it to the 1:45 train because the 2 train would’ve made me late. Of course, when you’re in a hurry everyone around you walks SUPER slow. I hate when people are walking slowly AND taking up the whole crossway so you can’t pass. Major ugh.

Yay for the subte though, because I made it with 8 minutes to spare. I speedwalked up the stairs, understanding how the people who always walk so urgently must feel, and went to the pago rapido for exact change window, got my ida y vuelta, passed the checkpoint, and was seated on the train with 3 minutes to spare. Whoop.

I sat down next to this guy, and we were facing the wrong way. I reviewed the papers I was going to do with the guys, and then I just stared into space until I arrived in Quilmes. I didn’t ask anyone this time, I just knew where to stop!

I made it to the office, and when I called Pablo D. to let me in, I saw him and Eduardo across the street. However, someone was at the door, so I waved to them and headed in, where I greeted Jorge. We talked for a few minutes, before Pablo D. and I started class. Of course, the other Pablo wasn’t there, but Pablo D. let me call him on his phone, and it turns out that again he was at lunch. So he said he would hurry back. Pablo D. and I started with the listening exercise, as well as just talked. We talk well together. Then the other Pablo showed up and we redid the listening exercise. It was hilarious because when we were reviewing it, he had the exact same questions about words, etc. that Pablo D. did. You can tell they’ve had the same English instruction. And they both made the same joke about the past tense of rise, rose, being just like the flower.

Class lasted long, until Jorge came in and kicked them out. We talked for a bit, during which Jorge said his daughter had asked him to ask me where the word handsome came from, which I didn’t know the answer to, but I told him I would research. He finally called in Eduardo, who was dallying, and we did the listening exercise. I managed to pick an article that challenged Jorge a little. Class went by quickly, and then I gave them each a letter I had written thanking them for the fun month and wishing them luck with their English.

Jorge walked me out, and we talked for a bit about other places I could visit before leaving. As I left for the last time, I won’t lie, I was a little sad. I really liked hanging out with those guys. Oh, point to remember – there’s an awesome really old ad in Quilmes. It’s painted onto a brick building, and it is of a glass of beer (because the Quilmes beer plant is right there) and it says, Lo admito, vivo en una burbuja. And I just think it’s a great ad, so I also took a moment to admire it one more time while crossing the train tracks to get back.

I had a couple of missed calls from Language Roots, and it turns out they had wanted to move up my lesson with Maricel. Pues, I told them that I would, but I had to take the train and subte back, so I didn’t think it would be possible. I arrived at the station right when the train showed up, so I again felt like a natural as I sprinted to the train door and found a seat by myself before the train took off. I just read Agatha Christie and the time passed by really quickly. I love reading that book in Spanish!

I made it to Language Roots, and Maricel’s lesson focused on her reading and the 2nd conditional. I really felt like we made some progress, although it went really slowly. She was really having trouble saying the word “would”, and she kept pronouncing it good. That got a little frustrating. But we pretty much got the hang of it. After that, I got paid!! Yay!! I mean, it’s not much, but it’s still cool to be earning the plata. They gave me about 100 pesos less than I had calculated, so we doublechecked and it turns out they had forgotten to credit 4 classes to me. Glad I checked! I also found out that I had gotten paid for two classes when the students had cancelled, so I actually made a little more than I thought! She wasn’t sure about two of the extra classes I claimed, so she wrote on my receipt that I lacked two and once she doublechecks I should get them. I also reminded them that I leave in two weeks, and they said would be no problem to get paid for August early. That prompted a story about a girl who told them the day before that she was leaving, causing them to lose two clients. I felt really bad, but Monica was like, you told me the day of your interview, so can’t complain about that. Whew. Now if I can get my plata from my Quilmes classes I’ll be set!

I headed home, changed, and went to the tango class with Jon. Oh, and while Lu was taking her bath, Maria Laura was like, Lu has ….some word I don’t know. And I was like, oh, ok. And she said, you don’t know what that is do you? And she itched her head. Oh crap.

My host sister has lice.

I was like, animales en la cabeza? And she laughed and said yes. Great. I don’t do much closely around Lu, so I’m really really hoping that I don’t have them. But you know when you’re thinking about something and your head starts itching? Yea. And M.L. was like, I have some shampoo, I have a lot of hair it would not be convenient to get them. Yea, no crap, I don’t think anyone wants to catch it.
Anyways, we walked to tango class. The past two times there were lots of new people, but this time there were just four of us. We all did this basic step, which was something different from the other two classes. Then, they split me, Jon, and the two other new people in the corner with two easy level teachers. I confided in Cassandra that I had come before but that I preferred to keep expectations low. She laughed and said she wouldn’t tell. We worked on the basic step, which I was content to stick with. Go any higher and you start twisting your legs and stuff. I love to watch it, but doing it is another thing. Well, I was just laughing and having a great time, but I think they got frustrated because I laughed a lot. Jon and I had to dance at the end in front of everyone, and we totally did the incorrect step. But we did it correctly! So no one clapped. Haha. Then, these like 5 year old did this amazingly complicated step. I was really impressed and joined in the clapping.

After that, headed home, where an omelette dinner and chips awaited me. Read some more of the Isabelle Allende book, which I’m really getting into. I’m also getting better at reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment