Thursday, August 13, 2009

Discrimination Lesson :)

I taught my own lesson at San Tarsicio today! It was about discrimination, and it went SO well. I started off with a little game, where about 5 of the 15 kids had stickers. I asked them ¨questions¨, and the kids with stickers got them all right, and the kids wo were either asked unfairly or not given enough time, or something like that. Oh, and if you won you didn´t have homework, so they were into it. Some of the kids got SO frustrated, and then we started talking about the game. Pues, first I told them that whether or not you won didn´t mean you had homework.

We talked for a few minutes before it clicked, and one of the girls was like, It´s like discrimination! And it just flew from there. I also played the John Mayer song ...waiting on the world to change....at the end, for a little listening practice. They loved it, and we played it one last time and everyone sang along. It was a moment to be treasured.

It´s funny, because this morning I observed in another high school, and it was one of those experiences that made me ok with never setting foot in a high school again. The kids were in control of the classroom, so much time was wasted, they were so disrespectful....it was a quilombo. (argentine slang for huge mess). I was more than ready to get out of there.

But then my kids were great. They still like to talk and interrupt each other, but I´ll take that over the other stuff any day. During the break, instead of going to the teacher´s lounge like I normally do, I just chilled with them and showed them my music and pictures. One girl kept exclaiming - look, it´s americans! to which I replied -- i´m an American too, you know. It was funny. And they all exclaimed when I showed them pictures of the A&M football field. It´s great. I love their wonder.

I still have my last (for real this time) class at Quilmes tomorrow, and then my class with Maricel. But go me, I already made the lesson plans, so really, my work here is done. Aside from getting the final souveneirs and getting my plata exchanged, I´m just chillin´for the last 5 days. sweet. I think now I´m going to go to the Lenguas Vivas library. No tengo ganas de ir....I´m SO tired of the subte, but I need to at least check it out.

I can´t believe that this time next week I will be home! It feels a little surreal...

No comments:

Post a Comment