Monday, August 10, 2009

Chinatown

Saturday, August 9th

Tomorrow is Dia de los Ninos. Two weeks ago was dia de amigos, and a few weeks back was dia de abuelos. They’re really big about people days here. It’s a good emphasis, but I think that, like Valentine’s Day, it’s become an industry to encourage economic purchases. Anyways, Maria Laura and Martin were taking Lu today to buy a bike for children’s day. She has been really excited about her bici all week, and I joke with her that she’s going to get a pink one because she hates that color.

I did the general morning routine – reading, bathing, computer emails, etc. I waited until they left before leisurely making my breakfast and a mate cocido. I really like mate, and I wish I drank it more, but it’s kind of messy. If you see me back in the States and you want to try it, ask me and we can make some, I’m bringing back some yerba mate. Inside joke: church John told the customs officials he had “yerba”, which by itself means drugs. Don’t forget to say yerba mate!

At 1, I met up with Jon at the subte station. I was really glad we subte’d because with him around I felt more comfortable about taking pictures. A large part of my trip has involved travelling on the subte, and I didn’t have any pics to document it. I was still really discreet, but I got a few pictures. Also, it’s amazing how different the Pueyyredon stop, which is more downtown, is from say the Olleros stop, which is in Belgrano. Obviously it was added later, and as such it’s bigger, brighter, and just better. There’s also an ad which I LOVE which used to be all over and is now less present. I had seen it at the Olleros stop though, so we got off there and I got my pic. We weren’t at our stop yet though, so we just waited until the next one came.

Then, we were one stop from the end of the station, so we just rode to the Congreso de Tucuman stop so I can now say I’ve been to both ends of the D-line. Didn’t do anything besides step off then back on at Tucuman though.

Finally, made it to the Juramento stop. Oh, the goal today was Chinatown. About 2 blocks in, we hit a plaza with a market. I seriously think that any place with an open area converts into a market on the weekends. This one was more artisanal and had some lovely pieces, but I didn’t get anything. There were hand-crafted dominoes, but they were tiny and didn’t actually scream Argentina, so I passed. I also got a door sign though for my room, but ended up not getting that either.

Then, we finally made it to the barrancas, or a really hilly spot, crossed the train tracks, and entered Chinatown under the arches! Jon chose the restaurant, so we ate at the Porteno Dragon. I got some rice with meat with a green tea, and it was quite good. We had a good time talking about all the places we want to travel to.

We also hit upon a good point I hadn’t realized before. Travelling I think will always be appealing to me. But there’s something SO MUCH FUN about travelling when you’re young. I really don’t think it can be beat. I mean, if I travel when I’m older, ideally I’d have more money and could perhaps eat better, but I don’t mind hostels and cheap food. It’s kind of fun to just go with the flow. And you meet such interesting people and you can just DO stuff. It’s something I don’t want to forget as I plan these next years. Yes, travelling is always an option, but not travelling while I’m young. There’s something wonderful and exciting about it. I suppose the same thing that some people apply to their significant other – how happy that person makes them, etc. That’s how I feel about travelling. It makes me feel alive!

Anyways, good lunch. We walked around the couple of blocks, poking into some of the shops, but didn’t get anything. I was reminded of when I went to Chinatown in New York and all the crap I bought. Back in the 9th grade. Man, that’s so weird to think about how young I was. But seriously, I bought such crap. Maybe I don’t buy better stuff now, but at least I buy less of it.

After that, we just meandered back to the market place, as well as to this HUGE church. I forget it’s real name, but it’s popularly called La Redonda…b/c it’s circular. It was really pretty, and actually bright in the inside because the circle middle lit the place. Then, we headed back to the subte. Oh, I did stop into a computer store and bought two c.d.’s I’m going to burn some of my music for Maria Laura and Lu as part of the going away gift.

We subte’d about 3 stops to Carranza. This was another new area of town for me. We had to walk about 10 blocks. I kept getting confused because we were on a street where all the cross streets ended and had new names. I think it was the boundary of Palermo and Belgrano. We made it to the flea market, which was kind of weird. First of all, it was a really deserted part of town. Secondly, I was expecting junk, or antiques if you will, but it was more furniture. Lots of chairs and sofas, etc. I couldn’t help but think that some of it would be useful in my house next year. Oh, and there were egg chairs, which were cool. There were a few good stalls with paintings, but overall it wasn’t anything I was in the market for.

We subte’d back, and I made it home. I think we might be going to a Beatles cover concert tonight and maybe a boliche. Not sure – Jon leaves on Monday so he’s getting in his last kicks.

Yea, we met up with Jon’s friends from Ecuador and we all went to a boliche called Pacha. It’s supposed to be a cool place for younger people. Thankfully it wasn’t too cold because we had to wait outside for a bit. One of the girls knew someone, so we got discounted entradas, which was helpful. Inside, the scene was crazy. Tons of people, everyone dancing to this electronica music. I really felt like I was in a movie – or rather, in that mojito commercial where he is shaking the drink and everyone moves and then stops when he stops. Because the bass would stop in the music and everyone would stop…it would build back up….and then boom! Everyone goes at it again.

However, the one thing about electronica, for me, is that it all sounds the same, and it’s not like you’re really dancing with anyone. So I would’ve been fine with leaving about an hour in, but we ended up staying until 6 a.m. We cabbed back, and I made it in bed just as the day was beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment