Monday, August 10, 2009

La Rural

Monday, July 27th

Today began with a glass of chocolate milk and some strawberry toast. I then went down to the photocopy shop and got three classes worth of copies. I don’t have them all finished, but I’m doing better than I thought I would.

Came back to my apartment, put stuff up, and headed down to the subte station, where I met Rebeca. We went to La Rural today, which is basically the rodeo inside Buenos Aires! We got there around 10:30, with the original intent to hear a lecture about bovine genetics. However, there was no master program present, so we couldn’t find it. We ended up walking around and had a great time. Started with the chickens, peacocks, hens, rabbits, chincillas, and canaries. Walked outside that place and saw a chinchilla coat stand. Poor things.

Walked by the tractors and cow chutes. Walked into an exhibition hall and saw JOHN DEERE! As well as a scary-looking brand called Akron. Then saw the cows/bulls. Came back out and went to the stadium for a bit, where some people were prancing around on horses. Also saw the Argentine calvary for a bit. This part was cool because I was in this arena, but surrounding me was huge buildings….aka the city.

After that, headed around and saw the horses. Then, went to the front, but walked by the cheese, meat, etc. stands. Got lots of free samples by walking through and looking ‘interested’. One nice girl asked us where we were from and gave us like 3 samples! It was sweet. At the very end, they were selling strudels with dulce de leche, and I got one. It was super yummy. Then, walked into an old building which was structured like old Buenos Aires. It had “little streets” inside it. Then, went into the building with the sheep, and I got a churro and Rebe got a coke.

After enjoying that, we tried to see a show, but failed at the time. So we went back, saw the milkcows, sheep, more bulls, and llamas! After that headed BACK to the building and got to see a panoramic video about Argentina. Happy to say that I had seen/experienced most of the things the video was showing.

After that, headed back to the arena, but didn’t see much. Oh, there was also a horse barn. Oh, and you know how cowboys/farmers dress up for rodeos? Well, there were gauchos here! And I followed two really authentic looking ones down the street and asked them for a picture. Sweet!

When we headed out, we subte’d down to Catedral, and switched to the Aline. It was my first time on the A line, which was much more old-fashioned. We got off and went into the Congressional Library. We had to lock up our bags, then we could enter. There really wasn’t much to see. I think I’m going to try to go back though and see if I can get any research for my thesis. All of that is coming together in these last two weeks…just wait!

After that, went back home, grabbed my computer, and went to the Roadhouse. Looked up lesson plan stuff and responded to emails. Went back home and then subte’d to my lesson. The lesson with Maricel about the first conditional went well, but took longer than expected. Sometimes she seems intermediate, but then tonight she seemed like a beginner and I’m thinking that next week I might review more basic stuff with her. On my way out, Monica gave me my instructions for my substitute classes tomorrow.

I made it home, helped Lu with her homework a bit, and made my lesson plans for tomorrow. Dinner was yummy milanesa with puree. Walked to the House and printed off my stuff for tomorrow. I think I might try to do that more often since I don’t have to pay for it. Hung out with the people upstairs for a bit while on the Internet on Rebe’s computer, then came home and going to sleep before the long day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment