Monday, August 10, 2009

Belgrano subsitute classes

Tuesday, July 28th

This morning I had to go to Belgrano to substitute for the teacher Laura who is sick. I thought class started at 9, so I got there really early..it started at 9:30. Then, my student was a little late. However, when she arrived it was really cool. Her name is Florencia, and she is 22, so basically my age. She works full time and goes to school. She was originally studying chemistry, but decided to switch to business because of the commitment studying chemistry requires. I couldn’t believe that she works here from 9-6 every day, then goes to school 3 nights a week. That must be good for her professional career, but certainly not for school! She also was just a marketing assistant, but when her director left she was offered the position. So now she coordinates the companies business in all the Americas, which I’m just thinking wow. And you’re only a year older than me. Her English is really good, she is just really shy about it. Pronouncing the letter “j” with a hard sound is also something she struggles with.

My second class was with Hernan who is really nice. He really likes his English rules, and constantly was asking me questions about the lessons in terms of which rule it conforms too. We didn’t have much in common though, so we just stuck to the general lesson.

I ate lunch at McDo, and it was fast! They had an extra person ready to retrieve my order. I also like it because when you order an hamburguesa con queso…it really is just a burger with cheese, and I don’t have to worry about yucky other stuff getting added.

I left straight from McDo to the subte to the train to Quilmes. I entertained myself by drawing memorable points from each of the train stops. I had one of the best classes with Jorge and Eduardo. We took up the entire hour and a half, starting with a phrasal verb review, then a worksheet, then reviewing phrases, and then a debate between them. I felt like they really got a lot out of it, and the lesson just went really well! On the train ride back, I was cold, but happy.

I didn’t feel like going back to my house for 30 minutes and then having to travel back downtown, so I just got off at the downtown subte stop and ended up chilling in a McDo with some French fries and a coke. Before that though, I saw a motorcycle man steal a ladies purse. It was really sad, and full of yelling, and she and a guy took off down the street after him. I’m not sure how the story turned out though. I also saw an amazing shoe store I hope to return to – I really want a pair of boots!! Got my hopes up when I saw a sign and several computers advertising McDo internet. As a server coldly informed me, I have to BUY the internet. However, I had already thrown away my trash in the hopes of getting on a computer, so when that didn’t pan out, I sat back down. However, the security guard kept watching me, and I sincerely thought I was going to get thrown out of McDo since I looked like a squatter. So I left quickly and just walked slowly to class. I picked up some chocolate along the way and put on a brave face so I’d be charged and ready for class with Julian. Thankfully, the conversation flowed pretty easily on its own about grain and his work.

After class, I came home and was ready to crash. It was Alyssa’s last night, but I was in bed instead of going out. It was a fulfilling 12 hour day though. Makin’ that plata ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment