Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wednesday, July 9th .....time to go out!

I had to get up a little earlier this morning because I had to be in downtown by 11 for a meeting with the job I'm taking outside of town. So I fixed breakfast, dressed, then headed to the subte, which unfortunately was super crowded around 10 a.m.

The meeting went really well, and I found out I'll be working with two classes with two businessmen in each. I'm doing the "media" module, so my main goal is to get them to discuss issues and work on their speaking confidence. It's a month-long course, so it ends right as I'm going to be able to work in the school!

Now I have a schedule -
Monday - one to one class
Tuesday - teach businessmen
Wed - orphanage
Thurs - orphanage
Fri - teach businessmen

i do have to take a train to get to the businessmen, but as long as I save my receipts I get reimbursed! Then I came back and failed at fixing my Internet some more.

Then, next meeting with schoolteacher where I will be volunteering in August. We went to the primary school this time, and another girl who is volunteering, Lia, came as well. We actually got to meet the teacher we will be working with, and she is really cool! When I asked her how the times would be structured, she was just like, however you like! So I think I'm going to observe a few classes and take notes for my thesis, and then hold a "debate" of sorts with the students. We were discussing topics and leaning towards discrimination, which would be interesting.

After that, walked back to the House, where we checked movie times. Our theater is cheaper on Wednesdays. We had some time to kill, so we stopped in a cafe. I was holding out for popcorn, because I haven't had it since I've been here, but I did get some medialunas, and they were dulce, caliente, and heavenly. yummm.

So then we went to the theater, and when we went to buy the tickets to see UP, it was weird because we had to buy them all together. They assign seats here, and they were being very strict about leaving two seats between you and the person next to you for health reasons. gah. Well, they gave us horrible side seats, and the theater was completely empty, so we switched to the middle. Right as the previews started, about 10 people came in, and it turns out we were in some seats, so we just moved up a row. My popcorn and coke was quite wonderful! The movie was good, but heavier than I was expecting.

I headed home, where some chicken and veggies were awaiting me. I copied some more of Maria Laura's c.d.'s, she has a very "smooth" collection, and then chilled out, talked to SarahLu a bit.

Around 11, Lia called me to go out, but I thought we were going to go with her host brother. Turns out he had about 8 Argentine guy friends, but they didn't want to go out unless there was the equivalent amount of U.S. girls. When she said that she had guy friends she could invite, he just stated that they only wanted to meet American girls. So I was ok with not meeting up with them.

We did meet up with Carlos, and we hit up various joints, bringing in the night around 5 a.m. Oh, and at this time, the feriado had started!!

No comments:

Post a Comment