Friday, July 17, 2009

Jazz!

Saturday, July 12th

Another lazy morning consumed by thoughts of excitement about being skyped into my family reunion :) I had to clean my room though because the lady who is probably going to buy Maria Laura’s apartment was coming over. It’s really weird because they’re basically doing an apartment swap. Maria Laura needed a place a little cheaper, and this lady wanted to move, but the apartments are literally right down the block from each other. So yea, random. Thankfully the move isn’t happening until after I leave. But the exciting part of cleaning, aside from finding random moneda in various places, was that I SAW and SMASHED a giant mosquito. The killer itself. And I felt kind of bad about being so excited, but that thing has been terrorizing my nights for so long now, it was wonderful.

So I headed to the Roadhouse, and Rebe and I made our way to a cool graffiti painting of the famous tango dude down here. It’s a cool painting on the side of a wall, so we each took pictures of each other across the street. It was lovely in that this couple was making out right behind us, but we had to stand there to get the good shot. When I was walking back across the street, the girl was definitely watching us while being basically lip-lock attacked by her boy. Not sure how wonderful that was.

Back at the House I was able to talk to my family. I was really nervous b/c at first our cameras weren’t connecting. And then 10 minutes later, his was working, but mine wasn’t. It was cute though, because the little cousins waved at the camera even though they had no idea who they were waving too. We almost gave up, but I tried calling back one more time, and it worked! Of course, John, with all his techy glory, had transposed me to the big-screen TV, so everyone had a good view of me. I got to talk to mi familia, as well as meet J and Aubrey, as well as see Jacque’s engagement ring! Oh, and I need to remember to check which way the toilets flush. Although, the toilets tend to flush DOWN here, so I don’t know if the water has time to go in a circular motion.

After that, I finished the last parts of the lesson plan, and then just surfed the web checking out various service programs that I may or may not be considering after I graduate college. Ack, how is that already here?

Then I headed back to my house, where it was SO CUTE because Maria Laura had another date with this guy she’s been seeing. So I got to help her pick out her outfit, and I was reminded of how stressful it is to be a girl sometimes when you have 5 different ways you can wear a shirt, 3 different pairs of shoes, and 5 different coats that could be worn ….. all depending on what kind of attitude you want to send.

Then, I was headed off to meet Rebe as we attempted to make it to another jazz bar. Oh, I had called the other one earlier, and the guy said they were closed indefinitely. Not sure why, and they should definitely convey that to whoever works their website. So we tried out a new bar. The only problem was that you needed reservations for a table. Rebe had tried to call, but something was wrong with their receiver, so they didn’t go through. But they still let us in, we just didn’t have anywhere to sit. So we ambled around for a bit trying to find a place to post up. We finally just sat on the stairs, and other non-sitters soon followed suit.

Carlos joined us too, and we kept waiting as the 21:30 promised appearance continued to not show. Finally, around 22:30, Paul came on. She, as well as her bass and drummer, were worth the wait, as she expressively played the piano and they complimented. It was a wonderful evening, only slightly cramped by our stairs seating and my super cool mineral water. The club is probably one of my favorites that we’ve been to though, with a wonderful dim atmosphere accented with some very artistic, unique pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment