Thursday, July 9, 2009

Tuesday, July 7th...internet failures

Another chill morning, today I knew that I HAD to get some cash or I could possibly find myself stranded somewhere. So I got everything together, and hastily headed to the bank where I had seen Angie get money. Pues, turns out she got it from an ATM, didn’t exchange it, because this bank was client’s only! But a nice receptionist pointed me to where I could exchange my bills. I also had some left over from Chile, but they didn’t accept the change.

On my way back, I made up my mind to get the Ethernet cable! I went back to the store, where the old guy perpetually works, I jogged his memory about what I needed, and I watched as he cut the cable and proceeded to pull the wires apart and then put on the fichas, which I don’t know what the word is in English, but the things that click into the compu, and then he tested it and was like here you go querida! So I took it home and excitedly turned on Maria Laura’s compu and plugged everything in. And my computer is such a tease. Depending on how I fidgeted with the wire it would show half a second of connectivity before going back to saying nothing was connected. I played with it for a while, then went straight back to the store and asked the guy what I should do. He said to check to see if the wire I was using previously was crossed or not, and to let him know.

I checked, and they weren’t, then I thought, ok, maybe that will fix it! But I didn’t have time to bring it in, so I decided to do it after my meeting. After that, it was time to head to my volunteer meeting. Since I can’t volunteer in the schools, I’m getting set up with a volunteer organization. I had great directions on how to take the bus, so I found some moneda and did so. The ride wasn’t bad, but I got antsy and pushed the let off button too early. I thought I found my street, but oh, this was super sketch. So I couldn’t find the exact number, and I followed this guy into a nice looking, what I thought was a hostel. And maybe it was, idk, but right as I walk in, looking for someone to ask, I see this deal going down on the table. There was a lot of money and a black box, so I mean, use your imagination. I promptly turn around, and this mob like dude says, que necesitas, chica? And I promptly put on my innocent little girl tone and sweetly ask where the address is. And he and said partner are like, wrong street, and I quickly exit.

I found the right address, but then there was no sign. So I’m ambling in this building, and I ask this girl, and she tells me, and I buzz in, and yay I made it. Turns out they’re having a all-volunteer meeting to discuss how the government has basically asked them to shut down most things. It was really sad, because one of their big things is their child-care center. And she said that since the mothers still have to work, these little children are being left home alone, which is super dangerous, because the mother’s have no other option. People who had been working with the organization for a while were be reassigned to actually help watch kids in homes, since they already had friendships with these people. For me and my friend Carlos from Road, they said they desperately need help in the orphanage. Normally half of the kids are there in the morning and half in the afternoon, but since school closed all the kids are there all day for a month. With only two adults there, the kids are going crazy. So I’m going to be doing that two times a week, maybe three times. The orphanage is actually in Olivios, which is where the President’s house is, so that’s interesting. I’m also glad that another guy from Road, Carlos from Miami, will be going with me. That’ll make the hour bus ride out there better. Oh, the other interesting thing was that there has not been a single case of the flu in any of the community centers…..but the government still basically forced them to close down. Which I understand you want to take precautions, but at the same time it’s scary to think all of those kids had to be left alone at home.

After that meeting, Carlos and I made it back to the computer store, where the guy changed my wire again. Then we went to the Roadhouse and caught the last part of a really funny Argentine movie about conning. I don’t remember what it was called, but it was good. And the cheap off the street peanuts just made it better!

After that, Rebe and I caught up (which included looking at an awesome Aggie Catholic wedding album), and then I headed home. I tried the cable again, which, surprise surprise, didn’t work. At least I’m past the stage of disappointment. Maria Laura had to leave suddenly, so I went to the restaurant next door and got some empanadas to go. When I got to the restaurant, I just waited at the bar, and they were really sweet and gave me some orange juice. Then, I came back, plopped down in Lulu’s miniature chair in front of the t.v., and I turned it to a Disney channel to……….

Pirates del Caribe!!!!

I was so excited, I screamed. This is my alltime favorite movie, and I was getting to watch a really good dubbed version. And it was cool because I know most of the lines and I would try to translate them, but then they never literally translated them, so I guess some of the humor didn’t translate. Oh, it was wonderful, and I enjoyed every second. I HAVE to get a dubbed version of that movie. The only weird part was Johnny Depp’s voice was drastically different and gruffier, so that took a bit of getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment