Thursday, July 9, 2009

Monday, July 6th.....interviews and Hitch!

I felt like a total bum this morning, but as the rain gently pattered against my window, I knew there was no way I was getting out of bed. But I eventually ambled out and past Maria Laura, who remarked that I looked like I was still in bed, made my breakfast, and woke up. Knock on wood to this, but you’d think I’d be tired of tostada and coffee by now, but truth is I’m not at all.

Once I got ready, which I am proud to say it was a new outfit for me (side story: I was going through some I clothes I hadn’t worn yet b/c they had gotten stuck in the back of my drawer, and I pulled out two tops, and when I saw them together I was like. Man – that’s awesome! And I wore the combo today), I headed to the Office. I was determined to be a constant, present figure until they place me in a volunteership or whatever. So I caught up on this blog, which sorry if it’s confusing since I put in like a week, and I was going to add in pictures, but then I opened two important emails. One said that the two a week job was still available, which if I haven’t mentioned this before, it’s a good gig, it just requires about an hour train ride out of the city to get there. So I was originally going to say no, but today I said yes because, well, nothing else has presented itself and I will make money! I figure that will be forced time to read in Spanish. So Tues/Fridays are on lock. Then, the second email was from the company through which I have my one-to-one class. Well, she was writing to “remind” me of my first class tonight, which I guess she had forgotten that she had never originally told me. So, instead of carefully producing my blog, I created a lesson plan. Thankfully, I’m a stud at those things, and I whipped one up about travelling within the hour.

I also met a new girl with Road, and it was so interesting because she was asking me for advice and stuff, and it hit me that I’ve been here for 6 weeks. Really crazy, it’s hard to believe. And that I’ve already done most of the touristy stuff, haha. I’m sure I can find some more.

So after that, I headed home, changed, and headed downtown for an interview at 5:30. Ugh, the Microcentro area of town still REALLY confuses me. It’s because the main street is actually a diagonal. So I ended up walking down a bit, then I came back up to the main street, passing a pedestrian street, then I walked back down, passing that same peatonal. Aka, I made a crazy 8 figure, when I could’ve walked straight through on the pedestrian street. So then, I thought I was fine and dandy, but I actually walked straight past the place. Eventually, I found it, and was led into my interview.

My interviewer walked in 10 minutes later, after I had read and reread the brochure, and it went pretty well. Then, she was like, give me a minute I need to speak to my supervisor. So then her supervisor came in and basically redid the interview. And I’m not sure if it was the 2nd step or if the other girl couldn’t understand me. But we had a good time, and at one point, she was like, pardon my English I’m a French teacher. So of course I responded with the classic, ahh, parlez-vous francais? Well, homegirl starts spitting it out rapid-fire, and I’m just like, uh huh?! So I managed to explain how I had learned French, and the next thing I know, she’s so excited she’s conducting the rest of the interview in French!

Pues, lucky for me we were at the point where she pretty much explains what is required, and I caught the important points, such as this Friday I will probably have a training meeting, and I will hopefully get put with one of the “crash courses” that are completed within the month. They only pay 21 pesos/hour, which is less than the recommended 25, but I’m not complaining. Oh, I also sent an email to Maria Laura, which she will hopefully send to her friends, advertising my availability as a customized English teacher, AWhoop.

So after that, I meandered down a few blocks to where I was teaching, thinking that I had an hour and a half to kill. I found Lavalle street, which is another pedestrian street, with lots of restaurants advertising tango shows and cinemas!! We’re going to the movies on Wednesday 

I decided to go ahead and head to the office and just read for a bit. Well, that was a good decision, because it turns out our meeting was an hour earlier than the email had said! Ack! But it wound up being perfect, and we had a lovely lesson that lasted just about an hour. Maricel is a lot of fun to talk with, and she said she enjoyed the travel topic, and I know it was really practical. For the next couple of weeks, I want to create some kind of theme, but I’m not sure yet.

When I left, I headed straight for the subte. Well, almost, I got a little disoriented again. I did pass a large covered structure with mattresses out and homeless people. Seeing all these really young, dirty kids huddling on mattresses for warmth was really, I don’t even know. What I’ve heard is that some of the parents won’t send their kids to school, but rather they send them out to find food, etc. So when you give them moneda, etc. it’s actually encouraging them to not send them to school. So yea.

I actually passed the subte station, so I quickly crossed, not realizing that I was basically walking straight into a street fight. I’m not sure exactly what was happening, but it was two guys, and then a couple. And the guy in the couple threw a jacket he was holding, the two guys grabbed it, ran off, and the couple was screaming obscenities the whole time. I was headed straight into it, then managed to veer around. It was a little unsettling, as everyone near the station stopped to watch, and I quickly walked around and down into the subte. Whew. Still no idea what really happened.

I got home and changed into a tshirt. Man, I miss wearing tshirts. People just don’t wear them here, so that cut, plus the English writing on it, would make me stand out even more. One more great thing about the U.S. – tshirts.

Dinner came rather late, around 10 p.m., but was well worth the wait. And actually, for Argentine time, it was even a bit early. Maria Laura made tacos, and again, I impressed myself by not even blinking an eyelash as she handed me hard tortillas stuffed with chicken, and lots of green and red things. I think the key difference was that there was no yucky sauce inside. They were amazing. During the consumption, Hitch came on t.v., and I laughed a lot because that movie is hilarious and so sweet at the same time. I had an alfajor for dessert – not the same brand as last night, but still delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment