Saturday, July 25, 2009

Huerfanato

Thursday, July 16th

I ran some errands this morning and basically hung out around the house. I did find out that I can use an ATM, so that was good. I also unfortunately noticed that Maria Laura had thrown away all my bottles (think coke and Gatorade). I wanted to keep the labels for something, but oh wells. Means I need to buy more coke!

When it was time, I hopped on the subte and headed to the meet spot to head out to the orphanage. This place is actually in Olivos, which is about an hour outside of town. BUT, it’s a really nice area, and the President’s house is actually located in that neighborhood. I met up with Berta, who is the coordinator, albeit she’s only 19 which is younger than me!, and Carlos, my Miami partCubano friend, who is super goofy. We successfully caught our bus, and it was a fun ride out talking and chatting en espanol.

Once the bus dropped us off, it was still about a 20 minute walk, but it was through a REALLY NICE suburb. I felt like I could’ve been back in the States. The houses were very distinct, with manicured lawns and garages and gates. When we arrived, they immediately put us to work helping with homework. The kids haven’t been to school in a while because everything was closed for the swine flu, so the teachers have been sending homework home. I was first helping one girl with vowels in cursive, and then I helped a younger girl with a story. I actually had to read it to her in Spanish, so it was practice for me too!

Then we headed to the park, where the kids, about 8 came out with us, loved Carlos. I didn’t have much to do, so I was talking to the coordinator. She said that most of these kids have parents, but they have been deemed incapable of taking care of their kids. Some of them are siblings as well. The parents typically still are involved in the kids life, but in a very strict fashion. It was so cute seeing Carlos race and goof around with the kids – it reminded me of my brother!

After the park time, we headed back to the orphanage. We just basically hung out, which again, I didn’t really feel like I was doing much. I was able to help serve the snacks, so that was good. Finally, we headed back home. I was absolutely exhausted. I was also supposed to interview Paz tonight, but we didn’t make it back in time, so I had to cancel AGAIN with her. I felt really bad, but she’s so sweet, she didn’t complain at all.

I know I ate dinner, but I honestly don’t remember what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment