Monday, July 6, 2009

Monday, 29th ...commence interviews

Monday morning, I awoke anticipating my interviews. I doublechecked where my address locations were, and I headed out to my first interview. I arrived without incident and made my way into the building. I was ushered into a waiting room of sorts, and the next person to walk in was Peter! (from my TEFL class) He was looking sharp in a suit with a new haircut, and he said that the interview wasn’t bad. It was nice though because normally I get really nervous, but since I was doing this more for the experience, I wasn’t stressed. He did tell me that I shouldn’t tell them I’m leaving in 2 months because it’s one of the first questions they ask. It makes sense because they don’t want employee turnaround. So while I waited, I debated what my answer to the question would be.

Mariana interviewed me, and she was rather straightforward. She began asking me what brought me to Argentina, why I chose EBC, etc. The third question was how long I am staying in BA, and I simply said August, which she took to mean August a year from now, which I hesitated for a moment then corrected her in that I meant two months from now. She noted that and then continued. After a few more questions, she began to explain how the job placement would work. She said that out of 50 teachers, only two were native English speakers, which was not what I expected. She said they had very bad experiences hiring native speakers, in that they wouldn’t show up to commitments or they would suddenly leave the country. After this, I told her that it had been recommended that I not reveal my upcoming departure date, but that I was hoping to get a little experience. She was honest in saying that it was not good, but she appreciated my honesty and said to let her know if anything changed in terms of me staying longer. Bleh, I wish I could. So after that elephant was out, she pretty much quickly ushered me out as we both recognized it was pointless to continue. Oh, this is because this company does pretty much big company assignments that last at a minimum 3 months. So yea.

After that, I began walking towards my next interview, which was on this crazy small side street. I walked into the wrong building first, but a kind security guard directed me next door. I then proceeded to enter an antique, crazy scary elevator, in which you open an outer door, then an inner door, and then you have to close them both before it will start. No me gusta por nada. So I made it to the new office, and a lovely older English woman opened the door. Turns out it was Beth, my interviewer! So we just start chatting, and I immediately feel comfortable around her. Before we even get started for real, she asks me how long I’m in BA. So I told her, but this time I took a different approach in that this summer was to gain experience and to see if I want to return after I graduate the University. This peaked her interest, and we talked about what I had learned, and I also brought up my thesis, to which she was more than willing to be a subject of an interview. So then the actual interview happened with her and her colleague, which basically consisted of me talking about my thesis and them providing helpful ideas. They also are going to see if they can find some more high school teachers for me to interview. Then, Beth said that while they can’t offer me a long-term assignment that if they need a substitute teacher or anything they will call me. They also recommended a bookstore that is renowned for its English books. So I left with a lovely feeling; it was quite wonderful. Oh, and Beth also studied in South Africa, so we talked about that too because that’s the next continent I want to go to.

On my way out, I was feeling pretty good. After the first interview, I had started to think these interviews were going to be a waste, but really I just had to change my tactic. Networking-wise, since I told the truth, if I come back I’m pretty sure I’ll have a job somewhere. Thesis-wise, they were all troves of information, as well as willing to be interviewed. And hopefully I’ll get some substitute positions too!

So I saw a Café Martinez, and I hopped into the bar, got some medialunas y un café con leche, and pulled out my little notebook and began to jot down ideas. After that lovely merienda, I continued along my way, meandering throughout the lovely downtown. It was fun to walk through downtown during the day, which is something I couldn’t do while in my TEFL class. And I finally feel comfortable walking through the streets, and I love it. And I love all the random people who walk past me, and just observing them. So I found the bookstore that Beth recommended, and perused through it for a while. They did have an impressive stock of English learning books, but I was more fascinated by their regular books. I might have to go back and read some stuff later.

So then I still had about an hour walk in front of me, which I leisurely took stopping into random stores along the way. When I made it home, I dropped off my clothes at the laundry place, and then settled in with the computer, where I stayed pretty much all afternoon. Maria Laura and Lulu were gone in the evening, so I had the place to myself. Maria Laura left my food on top of the freezer, which was some meatloaf type stuff, a veggie side, and then more veggie dish. I ate all of it. I then went to bed ridiculously early and slept very well.

1 comment: