Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Spanglish!

Hola amigos!!

Tuesday morning...hmmmm. I woke up and made some yummy instantaneous coffee with tostada. I'm in the habit now of one slice with berry jam and the other slice with dulce de leche. Class went by really quickly - we had to present about "reported speech", which is:

Direct speech: "I didn't like this lesson."
Reported speech: Lara said she didn't like this lesson.

The interesting thing was just that the Brits call quotes "inverted commas." That was really confusing for a bit. So we survived that presentation barely, and then pretty much broke for lunch! Angie and I split some Chinese yummy food, and I devoured it. I've just been STARVING this week. Then we worked on our some/any/both/either/neither lesson for a while, which WHOOP I'm also using for my Friday lesson, so that was wonderful to get done. I also swung by the Roadhouse for a bit and worked on our travel itinerary a little more. Then I headed home, where I worked on my one-to-one assignment. I used Martin as my model student, so I got to write up 8 lessons plans for a student planning to live in New York and work in for the UN. This involved me looking up mock exams to become a UN translator...and wow, those things are difficult. I didn't even know all of the words presented in English!

Then, I headed out for Spanglish, which this time I knew to get there later. I decided not to ride over from the House because I knew I would speak English around them and defeat the purpose. And the subte, just 30 minutes later than last week, was completely bearable and I was able to ride without my personal bubble being poked and prodded. Then I had about 10 blocks to walk to the bar, and I was walking behind this really cool-looking guy, who had what I would call a citystride. So I amused myself for about 5 blocks by trying to imitate him. I was cracking up at the same time, so I'm sure that I looked like a loony walking through the streets.

Even though I got to the bar around 7:30, there were still only about 5 people there. I was hoping to get in some extra Spanish time, but they were all English speakers. This week had a low turnout, and the ratio ended up being two English speakers to every Spanish speaker. Mild bummer, but still useful. Two of the women who I talked to last week showed up again, and I was able to chat with them a bit, so that was fun.

Nothing super phenomenal happened during the convos...they were all a bit stunted since there were 3 people in vez de 2. One cool part was when this guy was asking me where I learned Spanish....because he said I had a slightly Latin American accent. And I was like, oh, in school, but one of my besties is from Puerto Rico. And he was like, yea, that makes sense :)

We took the bus back after the class, and then I heated up my chicken at home. The house was quiet, and eating dinner solo again was lame, so I proceeded to try to find a tv show to watch on my compu. Well, in case you didn't know, pandora doesn't work here. neither do ABC/CBS/NBC. Unwilling to give in to defeat, I attempted to find some telenovelas, or soap operas. I found one site, and downloaded a special thing to get it, and then it wouldn't work either, saying it was unable to function at my location. bummer. So I watched Enchanted for a bit :) then basically did homework all night.....but thankfully finished all of my assignments - whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment