Friday, June 12, 2009

Live Music & Amigos

Thursday was a good day. :)

Listening to Juanes - A Dios Le Pido - right now :) Goes all the way back to Sra. Wilson! Nada Valgo Sin Tu Amor is one of my favs as well.

Thursday morning consisted of peer teaching. Our classmates who are actually teachers went first, so they had a studly performance. It was good because I was able to see some good presentation. The only downer was that Angie and I followed them. But we held our own with the "must have" "have to" "might" and "may" MODALS and we got off with just a few ticks.

For lunch, we walked cattycorner to this Chinese shop. Although, I must admit, I doubted when Angie told me it was an actual restaurant. There was no sign, and there was a thick, black, grid door in front. But we opened it, then opened the inside door, and voila! a Chinese restaurant. Think kind of like Wright's bbq, but Chinese style...and a little smaller. So I thought I got some rice, but when we got back and unwrapped our food, which smelled AMAZING, it was some mix of noodles, veggies, and a splattering of meat. Yes, I ate it :) and yes, it was good. I even ate the green peppers! Thankfully, they weren't spicy. Oh, other note, when you get takeout (we took it back to the center) they don't autotmatically give you silverware. You have to ask. Just FYI for when you come down here.

Thursday afternoon was just lesson plan, lesson plan, and more lesson plan. I had LOTS of activities for my beginner class since the last time I had run out of things to do. As the clock creeped towards 5, I still had no students. Lovely Argentine time though, at 3 till 5, 3 students showed up. So we got started, and they were all older ladies and a lot of fun. I was really NOT looking forward to the lesson because it was prepositions, but it ended up being one of my favorites. We had fun talking about going over, around, under, through the mountain, as well as some fun interludes of turning the light on and off, and telling me to "get off" the floor. Ended up with four students total, and it just went really smoothly. At the end we did flashcards to practice pronunciation, and we ended still lacking two of my activities, so whooop for that.

Then I raced home really quickly to drop off my stuff, talked to a feeling mucho mejor Lulu, and then headed back to meet up with TEFL class Rebecca to head out to our classmate Genevieve's concert! She has lived in big cities for a long time, so we were flying through the streets as I tried in vain to avoid bumping people. We met up with two of her friends, and we hopped on the bus to head to San Telmo! My second bus ride, and while I still am not a huge fan, it's MUCH better than the subte. We rode for about 20 minutes, so I got to talk to Rebecca's friends. They were both late 20s, oh, and sisters. One had just finished a ten-month job in Peru working with a health organization to help fight tuberculosis. She's going to med school at UPenn in the fall. The other sister had just finished Teach for America and is headed to Yale in the fall for her PhD in history. Needless to say, I was super stoked to talk with them, and we had a fun dinner. I mean, I was hanging out with people at a different stage in life than me (early 30s, late 20s), and they had done so many cool things! Makes me wonder where all my girls and I will be in 10 years.....crazy!!! mild aside: I just got an omelette, but the entire restaurant was super greasy, so I didn't eat much.

Then, we headed to the bar where Genevieve was playing. We thought she was going on around 9....but this is Argentina so she went on around 12:30. But it was a really good show, and it was just a lot of fun sitting around, chatting, enjoying the company. haha, when we walked in, there were like 3 people there (b/c people rarely go out before 12, right) and so we just walked in and started talking to Genevieve. Well, this guy stationed right inside the door follows me in, repeating something, but I couldn't really hear him, so I just ignored him. Turns out he was trying to get us to pay the "entrada", cover charge. Oops, haha. Then he didn't have change for my 50, and I was like, ummmm, it's all i have? So I thought I might not have to pay, but oh joy, he found change.

So we chilled, and we heard two guys play before Genevieve. They both strummed guitars, and one used a harmonica too. It reminded me of when Aaron sang at the talent show! Except the songs were in Spanish. They were lovely.....and all about heartbreak. Then Genevieve got up, and played some songs on the guitar. It was cool b/c one of the guys joined in with his harmonica. So pretty! Harmonica reminded me of my mom - you totally would've loved this music. It was wonderful. Genevieve also played some on her piano. Her style reminded me of Regina Spektor, and I really enjoyed it. Also, she just recorded 12 songs, so that was awesome to hear.

So another fun night, and the live music bar experience was fabulous.

Chau!

1 comment:

  1. how beautiful to talk to women living adventurous lives and to hear good music. yay!

    ReplyDelete