Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mas Tango

Friday was pleasant.

Began with a tired Lara getting up early to finish part of her lesson plan. Then, heading to class and getting to hear a lesson about shall and some other modals. Oh, needn't and mustn't. Which I don't really use. For instance, I would say "You don't need to worry about that." or "don't worry". Eammon was befuddled by our American-ness and we ended the convo with a generic....you need to know this, but it's going to be aware of how different cultures use/don't use it. Then Eammon talked about teaching to kids, and it basically turned into a debbie downer convo. He did say that he was focusing on the negatives just so we would be prepared.

Lunch consisted of leftover Chinese food, and it was really good cold! The afternoon was a little stressful at first as I struggled to piece together my advanced lesson on misplaced modifiers. However, I finally found a paragraph with misplaced everything already, and so I just used that. Then I worked a bit on some other homework, wrote the other blog, and counted down the minutes until my last observed lesson with Eammon!

Class started fairly well. I had four students...one rather difficult lady, one cute younger guy, one SUPER sweet older lady, and one bored-looking older guy. So I began, and it went ok. But the material was a little to advanced for all except the older lady, and apparently they didn't find the nuances of language quite as fascinating as I do...because they all seemed a little bored. So, you live you learn, but once the lesson was done, one of the ladies asked a general question in Spanish, and when I responded in Spanish, the older sweet lady was really impressed and we all had a quick convo in Spanish. It ended with her saying how nice it was to meet someone who came down here and actually tried to speak Spanish. On my way out, I may or may not have timed it so I was walking with Wilson, the younger student from my class (and by younger we're talking middle 20's). Just as I left the building, he caught up with me, and we began talking. It was great b/c I was speaking in Spanish and he was speaking in English. He was on his way to another English class, this one at a university. He's studying in order to travel to England soon. We had a fun conversation as we walked, but I couldn't help thinking......he only wants me for my English ;)

After that, I came home, and met Maria Laura's brother. In my perpetual meeting cheek-kiss awkwardness, I said "Chau" when I met him. He gave me an odd look, and just sat down, and I silently pounded myself at my slip (In Italy, ciao is hi and bye...here, it's just bye)...so yea. I had to go to tango in an hour, but Maria Laura heated up some empanadas for me first. Not gonna lie....a little burned out on empanadas....yea. OH BUT CHECK IT - she goes to light the oven, because it's not electronic or w/e, you have to stick a lighter down there. And she's clicking, and nothing is happening, and she's like,there's going to be an explosion. And just as I'm making a "what are you talking about face?"....the freakin' thing blows fire out and engulfs her arm. I'm thinking oh sheez where's the fire extinguisher? and just as quickly, it recedes, and she pulls her arm out with tiny little black marks and I'm pretty sure it burned part of her hair. And I'm asking if she's ok, and she's just like - yea, this is why you shouldn't use the oven. No Duh - I'm not going anywhere near that thing.

So I have my empanadas, then head over to the House, then we head to tango lesson! This time we had more boys, which was fun, and also it wasn't my first time! Oh, and instructor-dude wasn't dancing with a 10yrold...this time he had a female instructor his age....and he was much happier...much funnier....oh, and much flirtier with her. I wish I could've asked her what was going on there. We learned different steps than last week, so that was cool. Oh, and since it wasn't our first time, she taught us the "adorno" which is where you hit the back of your heel before doing the step. Not my favorite, but hey, it's tango. At one point I danced with the instructor, and he was like, yea, not bad, but you need to stand closer to me. baha, me and my American bubble. Also danced with another "advanced" guy, who was like, less rigid, more smooth. So I tried to improve that as well. Hasil and Rebe had to dance for the class, and they did an AWESOME job! That was really cool.

After class, headed home, and was asleep by 1!

1 comment:

  1. hehehe, oven. I can just picture that.

    I LOVE your tango picture. Keep up the lessons!

    ReplyDelete