Monday, June 8, 2009

San Telmo.....market day

Let me begin my day, Sunday, from the beginning...without confusing you. Also, after skimming my last post, I realized the copious amounts of "so" and "oh" I had strewn throughout. I got annoyed with myself while reading, and have vowed to be aware and not allow such a transgression to happen today.

After eating dinner Saturday night, I just chilled on the internet for a bit. I headed to Roadhouse around 12:30. Everyone was just chilling and chatting, and somewhere in the mix I began to crave ice cream, so Rebe, Stacy and I went across the street. I got a yummy mix of dulce de leche y tramontana. Soooo good. Around 1:30, we headed to one of the girls "work parties". She is interning at the Argentimes, and they told her to invite all of her int'l friends, haha. We were all a little apprehensive of a "work party".....I mean, it could be totally lame, right? We showed up to the Club "Unisex" and it was looking good - there was a line. We got in for free, saying we were with Argentimes. I love being on "the list". Immediately upon walking in, you hit the dance floor. There were crazy, flashy, seizure-causing lights flashing everyone, and everyone was just packed in. it was AWESOME!
We pretty much just stayed on the dance floor, and it wasn't creepy in that no one tried to join our group, and although we were rubbing backs with other people b/c we were all packed, there was nothing weird like someone trying to dance all over you. We stayed there until probably about 3:30, and then headed home. The only awkward thing was having to dance with a bulky purse. No bueno. But everything else was really enjoyable and it was my favorite club experience so far! And, I recognized some of the songs played from the reggaeton c.d. I got.

Only crappy part was I REEKED of smoke when I got back, and since the noisy shower is right next to Maria Laura's room, I held out until the morning. Got up around 9, showered, dressed, and headed to mass! It was a peaceful experience, although I still didn't really catch the homily. The echo in the church makes it hard sometimes too. Then we ate brunch at a lovely chain cafe in BA. Coffee and croissants, yummmmmmm. I'm a fan of coffee. We quickly regrouped at the house, then Rebe, Stacy, and I headed to San Telmo via subte.

Now, I brought some dresses to BA, and I had yet to wear them. I had vowed that I was going to wear a dress today. And I did, but in retrospect it wasn't my smartest decision. I mean, I get cold rather easily. And I only had my white cardigan. But I knew if I wore my red/green coat I would never take it off. So it got a little chilly towards the end of the trip. But I got to hang out not in a jacket, which was nice. I need to buy brown tights. The funniest part was remember how Argentines FREAK at cold weather? They're really worse than Texans. So I'm in my light cardigan, dress, and tights....and I'm passing people in skigear. Funny.


When we got off the subte, we were right next to the Casa Rosada (aka their White House). So we perused the area, and stepped inside, where there was an awesome display of documents and such. Argentina will celebrate 200 years of independence next year, and so they just started celbrating a year early! They had documents out that were dated in 1810....so COOL! There was a free tour, but I'm going to have to go back and do it b/c we didn't want to miss the market in San Telmo.
Oh, and I got a picture with the guards ;)

Oh, and BEN WILLIAMSON - there were pigeons in the square, and I laughed as I thought of your immense fear of las palomas de Italia.

The market in San Telmo was a pleasant walk. Lots of the same thing throughout, and nothing really caught my eye. I did get a rosary, which was cool because it was one of the last things I saw. Its all natural, made of wood and cactus, and a lot of the material came from Salta. I also had the opportunity to talk to several vendors, which was fun. Of course, once I spoke, they were all like, "de donde eres?" And I would say Tejas, and then they get confused until I say, Texas, and they're like, oh Texas!!! and yea. Saw a few tango dancers too. I couldn't get many pictures because several groups charged for them. Oh, and there was one beautiful street band comprised of about 10 members that played all sorts of instruments. It was really cool. On our way out, there was a manifestacion (protest) en frente de la Casa Rosada. Everyone was holding white balloons. I asked a street vendor, and he said they were protesting for peace.

After the market, headed home. Maria Laura, as always, freaked at my outfit and marvelled at how I haven't died of a cold yet. The good part though was that she made us some tea :) Had chicken for dinner, which was an ordeal. I sincerely dislike chicken on the bone. I much prefer strips. Also, I end up leaving a lot of chicken...I'm just not good at eating it! And here, the portions are really conservative - like, I eat EVERYTHING on my plate, which is not typical of me. So I ate the obvious parts of the chicken, then spent probably 15 minutes trying to get the grosser looking parts. I finally just had to close my eyes in a few parts. I also ate my salad, and found out that "morron" means red pepper, but not picante. I tried it, because I have to try everything once, but I don't like the pepper taste.

Then, spent the rest of the night online, finishing homework, and looking up events. See, our program sends us about 10 a month. maybe. K, I'm in one of the largest cities in the world. There should be a crazy variety of things to do. So I'm going to find them, because that's what I do. And I did. And it felt awesome to be planning again. I found some awesome blogs with less "touristy" things that I want to try, including an awesome French bar! Stacy also found a neat live music jazz bar. So classy! So this week with class is intense, with quite a few assignments, but once I get through, I'm going to start doing more stuff outside of the house. Also began planning our "viaje de Argentina". Angie, Hasil, Rebe, and I are going to take a week to hit Iguazu Falls, Mendoza, and hopefully Chile. Whoop! Oh, and next week, we're going to see El Fantasma de La Opera. So Stoked!!!!

Pues, hasta pasta!

1 comment:

  1. Rosary collection :)

    Opera :)

    Planning to enjoy one of the largest cities in the world :D

    ReplyDelete