Sunday, May 31, 2009

La Colonia, Uruguay

So I'm sitting on my bed, having just DEVOURED some yummy beef slices and a zucchini concoction I never would've touched normally. But I did, and it was good. If I haven't mentioned this before, my host mom is a cook, and although I've only been here for a week, I have yet to try anything of hers that I haven't really loved. And she cooks with lots of stuff I normally avoid. So yea. She's cool.

Speaking of - I've been here for a week! It's funny, today we were talking about how it feels like we've been here forever. Do you know how when you go somewhere that is so completely different from the norm, it's like a time warp and you just kind of feel like you've been there forever? I hope that made sense :) I'm absolutely loving my time here so far.

The trip to Uruguay today was perfect. We all needed to do something besides just work/school. We met at 7:45 and took the taxi to the Buquebus, our ship to Uruguay! Alas, Stacy overslept and missed our ship, but she took another one and actually made it faster! I was really dreading the ride, as the image in my mind was that of the rinkydink ferry that took us around the Statue of Liberty. But no, this was more like a cruise, and certainly better than an airplane. For a 3-hour ride, it wasn't bad at all. We did have to go through customs to board, where an officer tried to recruit us to train his "famous" singer with English pronunciation. When we declined, he remarked on how we "refused to mingle with natives" and brushed us along.


Our "deal" also included a skinny jamon/queso sandwich (crustless, yummmm), aqua, y barra de cereal. We were in the "turista" class. At the front of the boat were the "primera clase" and their seats were cool because they faced windows that opened to the front of the boat. It reminded me of an Imax, where it seems like everything is rushing towards you. We also walked outside, where Rebe and I tried to take a "titanic" pose, but rather blocked each other out. Hasil was a good sport though, and attempted to capture the moment. It was super windy/cold outside, but I was holding up pretty well in my pretty red peacoat debut outing and Spanish scarf (gift from Sarahlu!). We all dozed for a while, but were awakened by an intense singer on the lower deck. He entertained for a while, and words will not do justice. I took a video, which I will let you guys know when I have it uploaded. The guy was intense.

We arrived, and a bus transported us to town. We had free time for a few hours, so we walked around. Since it's Sunday, we found an open market, and I purchased a beautiful amethyst rosary (I have a rosary collection from around the world, btw). Add Uruguay to the list!

So why go to Uruguay? Well, one, it's another country to add to the list. Two, Colonia is on the "historic sites of the world" list, or what have you. We meandered through town, and I'm pretty sure the trees lining the street were deciduous. It was beautiful and completely Fall. It was a nice break from the craziness of the city, where I almost get run over every day, to be in a place with no stoplights, where the cars stop for pedestrians.

It was so peaceful. I was really thinking it would be a wonderful place to vacation. The beachy atmosphere reminded me of California, the small shops and cobblestone hilly roads reminded me of Italy, and there was even a little U.S. throughout the trees. I REALLY liked it.

We meandered to a lovely restaurant called "El Drugstore." No lie, that's the name. But it was really cool in that the kitchen was open, so you could watch the cooks. They use Uruguayan peso, but most everyone accepted Argentine pesos and US dollars. We could tell it thrived on tourism. I got panqueque de dulce de leche, which was basically a crepe. SOOOO yummy!

We then got our tour, which I understood for the most part. It began with a bus ride to the old bull ring, and then ended in walking. There were some fascinating facts, like how the Portugese built their streets facing the river, so they could always see approaching people and it helped to channel the wind. They also built the Church at the highest point in the city. So when the Spanish took over, they built a plaza, but it is one of the only ones (maybe the only one) without a Church. The guide also took us down some roads that had 90% the same stones that were laid by the Portugese. As well, the house exteriors down these roads had not been changed.

After the tour, we had more free time. We went up a lighthouse, which was really neat, but SUPER windy. From Uruguay, you can see the outline of Buenos Aires. We walked into some random shops, and I found out that everyone has stones in their shops because Uruguay, up in the North, is a big rock country. Cool. Ended up at a cafe, where I tried a Patricia, aka la cerveza de Uruguay. It was good!

Headed back to the boat, and began the ride back. Spent a lot of time laughing with Rebe and Stacy about random happenings that had befallen us since arriving. Mainly at Stacy's stories. Hasil is also quite hilarious.

Finally made it home, finished some homework, and am now going to crash. A lovely day - I recommend Colonia, Uruguay to anyone. I would love to be a recluse there, no lie, it was wonderful. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow or something.

Week 2 - here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment