Saturday, May 30, 2009

Experiencias en la Iglesia

Rebe and I went to mass tonight and celebrated "PentecostEs" in Spanish. so wonderful.

It's hard to capture the majestic beauty that older churches have. Maybe I'll get a picture of it next week so you can see. We showed up around 6:40 for mass at 7 and were surprised that only about 6 people were there. So we sat down, and looked through our pamphlets. I had completely forgotten that it was Pentecost and was so excited to be reminded of that by the Church's handout!

Earlier, while sipping coffee in a lovely cafe, I had asked Rebe if the church response was "Alambre" She laughed as she said "wire?" So we found out there that I was thinking "alabamos." Another beautiful thing about the Catholic Church is that no matter where you go, you know the structure. Within that, obviously, the content changes, but just knowing the outline makes everything so much smoother! Rebe and I were asked to say the responsorial psalms. We declined, although I think that would be neat if in 12 weeks I was confident enough to do that. The Church began to really fill up right at 7, and mass began at 7:10. It cracked me up that people were still walking in at 7:20, at which time the Church was packed.

I don't even know where to start. The mass was flooded with stimuli. Here are some quick points:

1) Castellano. I know they say the "ll" and "y" funny. What I'm still working out is the rhythm of the accent (reminiscent of Italy) and another quirk. As they were reading the Second reading, I figured it out! The "s" is typically pronounced if a vowel follows, and is kept silent if a consonant follows. How very French!

So while I should try to pronounce everything correctly, in mi deseo ser porteNa, I'm going to begin to skip certain "s".

2) Organs. I have never appreciated the organ. I always thought it was because I was biased by my love for the piano. And yet, tonight, I heard the organ as it should be heard. Like most older churches, the organ was located on the second floor, in the back of the church. As the music flooded the church and everyone's voices united, I was struck by the beauty of the moment. A new appreciation was born.

3) Los dones. A vocabulary word, if you will. Referring to qualities, gifts, characteristics, talents. Of course, what a gift Pentecost brings. And I love hearing how all of the apostles begin talking in different tongues. My love of languages, and privilege to study Spanish and French, is such a gift. You guys have no idea how cool it was --- I was listening these readings in Spanish, and I was understanding them! I can't wait to see how God uses my gifts to help me transform the world around me. I just get all bubbly inside! And don't even get me started on the Spanish language. It's beautiful.

We can't, and shouldn't, all love international travel or languages. The airplanes would always be overpacked if this was the case, and I would never get to go anywhere. But man, if each of us could take what we love, and run with it, and I mean REALLY pursue it and let the Holy Spirit work in our hearts and our lives...without worrying about societal expectations or all of the "what ifs" that will always exist, oh MAN do you know how many crazy awesome things would happen?

I don't know exactly why I'm in Buenos Aires. I can't possibly. I mean, I know I'm here to get TEFL-certified and to improve my Spanish. I know I should be searching for law/grade schools, but I'm not. But I believe that the components of this summer will contribute to something greater and more fulfilling than I could imagine in my future. I just have to trust, and within that trust, make decisions and take action.

A yummmm quote to finish my more.....reflective, if you will permit it.......blog -

Don’t ask yourself what the world needs.
Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that
because what the world needs is people who have come alive.

1 comment:

  1. You inspire me.

    And the "come alive" quote is one of my favorites, fo' real.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete