Thursday, May 28, 2009

I TAUGHT MY FIRST CLASS!!!

I come to you with sweaty armpits and a big smile :)

But I have to start from the beginning. The morning started a little slower. I was realllllly lagging and tired for some reason. I didn't have a cup of coffee - eek, I hope I'm not already addicted!

Made it to school, thinking about my lesson for tonight. Sat through class, was really tired. Sometimes I think he drags on our group work b/c since we're half the size, we'll finish way early if not. Everyone was a little nervous. Got out for lunch, and stuck around, printed out my stuff. Eammon said he thought my exercises might be a little too difficult, but in my head I was thinking, pues, just means it'll take up more time! I was really nervous about the time limit. He told us we could bail at 45 if needed.

I headed home, and proceeded to heat up leftovers from Deli Natural. Not sure if I procrastinated after lunch b/c I was tired or nervous. Rewrote my lesson, and added a picture response piece, and some word games (Foreshadowing: thank my stars I did that).

Martin and I chatted, and although he his own English class tonight, he said he would tell everyone to go to our classes tomorrow night! I also have to do a one-to-one interview, where I see what a non-native English speaker wants to learn and I prepare 6 lesson plans for them. I'm hopefully going to use Martin. haha, the final goal will be: Get to New York!

Headed back to the Center, and the jittery nerves started. Aka stomach in throat. But I arrived, met the night worker receptionist, who was really cheeky, found out I had five students, and tried to relaxed. Then all of a sudden I was in (turns out I had 8 students). I introduced myself, then fumbled through asking them for introductions.

Here's the Play-by-Play:

First was a guy about my age, whose English was poor, but he was eager. Then a really shy girl about my age who I could barely hear. Then two lovely, smiling, articulate women (around 45?), then another quieter woman (45?). There was a couple that spoke quite well for the beginning class (maybe late 30s?). Finally, hidden in the corner, a lady, most likely in her 60s, who spoke English very well. Whew, intros done. They all can pronounce "Hello, my name is...". Not too bad!



And then I tripped and knocked over the whiteboard.


EMBARASS.


Thankfully the young guy helped me pick it up, and I just laughed nervously as my face burned brightly. We got started with the vocab, which they picked up quite easily. It didn't take as long as I thought it would. I wasn't sure what to do about a few students who wouldn't repeat the words. Good question for Eammon tomorrow. It was great, because I couldn't speak Spanish, but there was one lady who also said the word in Spanish when she figured it out, so I knew when they got it correctly.

Drizzling was a class favorite.

Write as Eammon came in to observe, we began the written exercise. So he sat there for the first five minutes while they filled in the worksheet, and I tried to sit and chill, but mentally was like "ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh." And at this point I could feel the heat from my face.

We went through it, and I rushed it a bit I think, but for the most part it went well. Then they each wrote a paragraph about weather somewhere, which I had difficulty explaining the task b/c I let myself get nervous. But we got through that. They read their paragraphs Superbly!

My favorite part was playing word games with the vocab. Then, around 650, I was finished, so I gave them a bonus word: rainbow :)
And then I told them I was done b/c I didn't want to stretch it and lose momentum. So we talked about me for a few minutes, and once I left the room I talked to a few of them in Spanish for a bit. They were all thankful, and their feedback makes me think they definitely got something out of it!

So I walked back on Cloud Nine. And was cold. With sweaty armpits.


Now I'm working on tomorrow's lesson plan: less exciting: and waiting for dinner!

Thanks for all the love about my first lesson!!!


Besos!


p.s. For those who are interested - Outfit was carefully selected:

*Black pants and shoes & grey sweater - makes me look more professional, as well as Argentines like dark, black outfits
*Black socks with hersheys - to remind myself to not take myself to seriously
*Hair straight and down, but with headband to keep bangs from being a bother
*Hippo necklace - for good luck!

4 comments:

  1. You've officially made my morning routine: wake up, eat, check facebook and blog.

    Also, check out the Argentine band Enanitos Verdes. One of my Pandora favorites. I want to hear lots of musical discoveries from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Sounds like it went great. I'm sure your students were relieved to have such an upbeat, caring teacher.

    Have a great day!

    -- Sarah H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're doing a great job, Lara! Your blog is pretty awesome too, especially the level of detail. And I'm loving the Spanglish--you remind me of Señor Caraballo.

    Have a great day!
    Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I was really confused as to why Sarah had responded twice, and then I realized it was my roomie and my daughter!

    1) I'm honored to be part of the morning blog (and I hope you made it to CS safely!)

    2) Thanks for the love Sarah H. (and for signing your name with the last initial)

    3) HI ABBIE! :) i hope you're having fun back home. Yea, I'm trying to keep everything in memoria, especially while it's still new & exciting.

    Keep me updated on all of your summers!

    ReplyDelete